As we face the coronavirus in our nation and our own communities we may feel vulnerable, confused, and anxious. Our children and adolescents may feel the same. Here at Klingberg Family Centers, we have created a resource guide to provide some supports during these challenging times. We hope these resources help parents, caregivers, and families with needed information.
Helpful Phone Numbers (Health Concerns):
• Connecticut Children’s Pediatric COVID-19 Hotline: (833) 226-2362
• Hartford Healthcare Hotline: (860) 972-8100 or 833-631-0600 to get a referral for testing (you must have a referral)
• Yale New Haven Health: (833) 484-1200
• Bristol Hospital Coronavirus Info Line: (860) 261-6855
• Information about Coronavirus for the Deaf
Testing Locations as of 3/30/20:
• Hartford Hospital Education and Resource Center, 560 Hudson St., Hartford
Hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm
• Backus Hospital, 326 Washington St., Norwich
Hours: Daily, 9am-noon
• Charlotte Hungerford Hospital, 540 Litchfield St., Torrington
Adjacent to the outpatient entrance
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-noon
• MidState Medical Center, 435 Lewis Avenue, Meriden
Across from Main Entrance
Hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm
• St. Vincent’s Medical Center, 2979 Main St, Bridgeport
Across from the campus
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-noon
Hartford Public Schools
Meal Pick-up and Locations: as of 3/23, information verified on website 3/30
Starting on Monday, March 23, we will implement the following changes to student meal delivery:
• Meals will be distributed on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
• On Mondays and Wednesdays, two days of meals will be provided. On Fridays, three days of meals will be provided.
• Distribution will occur at 16 school locations in Hartford. The full list of locations is below.
• Meals will be distributed frozen with heating instructions in English and Spanish. They should be taken home and cooked or refrigerated quickly.
New Student Meal Distribution Sites
ZONE SCHOOL ADDRESS Mon./Wed./Fri.
1 Achievement First 305 Greenfield Street 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Classical Magnet School 85 Woodland Street 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Rawson School 260 Holcomb Street 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Weaver High School 415 Granby Street 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
2 Global Communications Academy 85 Edwards Street 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
SAND School 1750 Main Street 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Wish Museum School 350 Barbour Street 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
3 Hartford Public High School 55 Forest Street 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Kennelly School 180 White Street 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Moylan School—ELAMS 101 Catherine Street 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Parkville Community School 47 New Park Avenue 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Sanchez School 176 Babcock Street 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
4 Bellizzi School 215 South Street 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Betances Early Reading School 42 Charter Oak Avenue 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Burr School 400 Wethersfield Avenue 9:00 AM- 12:00PM
Hartford Magnet Trinity College Academy 53 Vernon Street 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Continuity of Learning (CLP) Hartford Public School
Click here for more information and to get started with DISTANCE LEARNING.
Student Technology (Hartford)
As of 10 am on Friday March 27, there are no more devices left for pickup in Hartford. Hartford reports, they have distributed every available device in the district. For those without devices at home, they will provide information the week of 3/30/20. Please contact the Welcome Center with any questions at 860-695-8400.
East Hartford Public Schools Meal Pickup (11am to noon)
- Anna E. Norris School, 40 Remington Road
- Franklin H. Mayberry School, 101 Great Hill Road
- Governor William Pitkin School, 330 Hills St.
- John A. Langford School, 61 Alps Drive
- Joseph Goodwin Elementary School, 1235 Forbes St.
- Thomas O’Connell IB School, 305 May Road
- Robert J. O’Brien STEM Academy, 56 Farm Drive
- Silver Lane School, 15 Mercer Ave.
- Sunset Ridge Middle School, 450 Forbes St.
Consolidated School District of New Britain
- Resources for New Britain access for school lunch program: CSDNB-Meals Link
- Google Classroom How-To Instructions
- Parents that need additional help are invited to email: email@example.com
- PowerSchool Link for Parents:
Information for families to receive free or reduced internet services:
State-Wide Emergency Meal Program for Children (updated 3/27)
• Full List of All Towns in CT Running Emergency Meals for Children
Please refer to Care 4 Kids for the latest changes in programs: Many families may be able to allow a responsible family member to provide care and receive payment for care by Care 4 Kids. Please contact CT Care 4 Kids at:
Care 4 Kids: Coronavirus FAQ
The IRS has officially changed tax day from April 15 to July 15 for federal as well as Connecticut state tax. You may contact: (860) 297-5962 or email at: drs@ po.state.ct. You are encouraged to file tax refunds now to receive your refund.
Emergency Food Resources
State of Connecticut Assistance Programs:
• The Connecticut Department of Social Services has suspended all in-person visits. To continue to be provided services to access benefits (SNAP) and application information visit www.connect.ct.gov and www.ct.gov/dss/apply or call 1-855-6-CONNECT.
• HUSKY – For information and resources for Husky Health members about Coronavirus including the NURSE HELP LINE: visit www.ct.gov/husky/covidinfoformembers.
• For special information for HUSKY HEALTH PROVIDERS: www.ct.gov/husky/covidinfoforproviders.
CRT energy-assistance clients with appointments scheduled in March should call 860-560-5800 to confirm the appointment or to arrange a fuel delivery. Fuel delivery authorizations will continue through April 1.
The blog at ctvoices.org, the website for Connecticut Voices for Children, answers questions geared toward those with COVID-19 and their family members: eligibility for paid sick leave or family medical leave, how to get unemployment benefits and how to retain employees rather than closing. More blog entries will be added later.
Connecticut Legal Services
Due to the increased concerns regarding the Coronavirus, Connecticut Legal Service offices are closed to the public. Please visit: https://ctlegal.org/.
Connecticut Unemployment Benefits
• Filing for unemployment benefits
Resources for Parents to Support Children and Adolescents
Fun and Educational Resources for Families
- Mo Willems Doodles
- Visit the San Diego Zoo
- Kids Educational Activities Offering Free Subscriptions
- Children’s Stories Read by Famous Actors
Food Resources in Local Communities
Please check in with Foodshare Pantry on Wheels with their updated online schedule daily.
Most towns have food pantries and many have soup kitchens; check 211ct.org for up to date information in your community. Some communities require a referral form the town’s social services department.
- Food Pantry at the Salvation Army, 78 Franklin Square in New Britain, open Tuesday and Thursday form 9:30am to 2:00pm. Only one person allowed in pantry at a time.
- MANNA Community Pantry, 55 Bartholomew Ave. in Hartford, gives food to Hartford residents in need weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesdays until 6 p.m., by appointment only. 860-246-6757.
- Benevolence Food Pantry, 179 Seymour St. in Hartford, gives pre-bagged food to Hartford residents on the third Saturday of every month from 9 a.m. to noon. 860-804-6687.
- Salvation Army Food Pantry, 225 Washington St. in Hartford, give out pre-bagged groceries to anyone in need Monday to Thursday from 9 to 11:30 a.m. 860-543-8413 x102.
- Community Health Services Food Pantry, 500 Albany Ave. in Hartford, provides pre-bagged groceries for people in need every other Friday starting at 9 a.m. Emergency bags can be picked up by appointment. 860-249-9625.
- Union Baptist Church Food Pantry, 1921 Main St. in Hartford, offers pre-bagged groceries for all needy people on the third and fourth Thursday of every month from 9 a.m. until the food runs out. 860-247-0648.
- The Friendship Center at St. Elizabeth House, 118 Main St. in Hartford, has a food pantry. People are asked to call 860-808-2120 to set up an appointment to visit, to facilitate social distancing.
- The Downtown Pantry, in the Center Church Parish House at 311 Temple St. in New Haven, is open Wednesdays from 1:45 to 3 p.m.
Something for Caretakers
Brene Brown: Introducing Unlocking Us, New Podcast
Gretchen Schmelzer: Blog The Trail Blazer